About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Love it or hate it, I only change for me, for self improvement, and Self-assurance.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shut it and Serve: The end of the week thoughts

I have often tried to figure out what makes a well-rounded person.

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but my parents spent many hours and dollars, shoving my sister, brother and I out of so many extra curricular activities that people are AMAZED at how many different instruments, sports, and other random skills I have (Karate, anyone?)  This isn't the point.  When on our way to and from this multitude of education, we often whined in the back seat WHY? Why mom, why do I have to sit in the back seat with my dumb sister and take piano between girl scouts and softball? All my friends are at home watching Real World.  Well, my mother would look into her rearview mirror and explain that we must try everything, even if it is just once, because this will help us to be well-rounded individuals.  We were, at almost all times, enrolled in a sport, instrument, and community organization of some form or another until we were old enough to refuse and pick one: my sister in sports, myself in Performing arts, and my brother in music.

Is this what makes a good well-rounded person? While this very well may be a start, i feel as though i have had some insight tonight to the other piece of the puzzle.  Tonight i attended a launch party for San Jose's chamber of Commerce field guide to service.  The guest speaker, so charming and bubbly had a lot of good things to say about community and san jose as a whole, but she had an analogy that i wished painted a clear picture for me about.  While she had a lot to say that I took away with me tonight, her analogy was, "sometimes, when I walk my dog, I bring an extra bag with me and pick up a bag of garbage.  Will that end world hunger? No, but I am hoping to do my part, and maybe inspire others to do their part...."

It was in that moment that I really think I found a solution: Service.  Here's why: I have a group of friends, my age and a few older, ok, they are mostly older but not by much.  and male.... and pilots, and they have a PASSION for crabbing about the state of the union.

Now, my mother might argue that they have a right to crab because they voted, but if there is a group of us younger americans that are skeptical and believe that the system is flawed... And in my own logic, and experience in working in groups, and the interest of cliches.... "if you want something done, you have to do it yourself"...

So what is my conclusion.  It is obvious to ME that my system is flawed, but these bunch of nay-sayers who I love are missing the key ingredient: service.  While you may work in a job that serves (pilots, teachers, etc.) that is just never enough! And, since I was raised in a very BUSY household (see extra- curriculars above), it does not make sense to sit and gripe.... at what point do we turn our distresses into action? and who will do it? If your answer to that question is "Not I" then I'm sorry, you have revolked all your rights to useless crabbing.  Voting is not enough anymore.  Action is the new bitching, because if you are going to sit and cry about it the way generations before us did... well then, you are going to end up with well, what we have now, which is obviously not ideal.

I have worked many odd jobs, from teaching and TA-ing, to backbar, event planning and catering, but the one common theme is that they have all, in some way, been a job of service, giving back and people oriented.  And, while I am fairly new at this "no school to consume my whole life thing", I can honestly say that some of the most deep and meaningful friendships I have made have been with people working towards a common goal.  

If you need help finding I place that needs your help, and sparks your interest, I can now help you find a place.  And no more complaining.  Anne Frank wrote, "How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."  Mother Theresa said "If you can't feed 100 people, feed one."  Michael Jackson said "If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make the change."

I hope we can all continue to round ourselves out.

No comments:

Post a Comment