About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Love it or hate it, I only change for me, for self improvement, and Self-assurance.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Art Both Past and Future

Art transcends me.  It is bigger than me, and its importance is true, and that is why I write about it with such ferocity.

There is hope for San Jose. 

My friend invited me out to a trunk show opening of a place on the Alameda.  The store is called "The usuals" and it was anything but usual.  A small studio, it was a place for local artist, and I turned green with envy at the way this event was set up.

First, it was a trunk show for local San Jose artists work.  And by artists, I mean jewelry and clothing design.  Secondly, on the walls a photographer had hung his work, also for sale, and during the fashion show a local artist was performing, while aspiring models showed off clothes, and a local up and coming food cart provided some tasty treats... all 100% San Jose business...

Talk about the Diaghilev of fashion world!

The space was just right for the Venue, and more importantly than that, the products were cute, reasonably priced, and ranged from avaunt guard to timeless.  I made a new friend (a jewelry designer) whom I almost started to tell about how stoked I was San Jose finally starting to do things... but I stopped myself to keep myself from sounding like a complete blathering idiot.  However, my new friend was the owner of her own jewelry designs, and her work is super cute and again, reasonably priced, and you should probably look up her website HERE

ALSO, to push my point even further (about San Jose Local things and Art).  I took Boyfriend to the Rosicrucian Museum yesterday (and the planetarium).  I forgot when the last time I had been there was, how awesome it is, and that, unbeknown to many CHILDREN my own age.... San Jose has some really cool stuff in it (if everyone would just open there eyes and stop complaining about what we don't have and that we aren't San Francisco).  AND While I was there, The Egyptian tombs reminded me that art was used to transcend us then also.  When people were buried in pyramids, and living family members had to leave them food and goods to take over into the afterlife, they would PAINT on the walls what needed to go with them.  Murals were created to show the happy deceased in paradise with all his favorite things. 

But stepping back what does this mean? They were right? no.  There religion was better? No.  It simply means that they APPRECIATED art.  How do I know this, well, for starters, if it was common for this mural to be made, it meant everyone (or a good majority) could PAINT.  It meant when someone said, "aunt Mildred has passed, let's make a mural in her honor",  no one gulped, started to sweat and stammered about how they can't, their pictures looked like stick figures and they wouldn't do it or couldn't do it...

Those Egyptians didn't realize what they were taking for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment