About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Love it or hate it, I only change for me, for self improvement, and Self-assurance.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mastering the art of Pain

So... On my second day of work, I went to The Dailey Method in Saratoga... AND WAS THE BIGGEST BABY!!! The problem was I went balls to the wall during crossfit, and could hardly WALK to work let alone go through a whole class.

However, I feel like there is a class etiquette that I finally found explained.

Crossfit is a lot about Olympic weight lifting, and I feel there is a stigma that goes with it.  The grunting and straining in lifting, I get it.  You think you need it.  Just BREATHE! All that grunting and straining... unnecessary.  It does not work like the woman's tennis open (and that doesn't work either.)

Now, on the FLIP side to that, Dailey method is a workout based on small contractions to make lean, long muscles.  They use straps and barres, and it originates from ballet and pilates workouts.

So, you can imagine my distaste when I could hear moaning and groaning from a participant about her Dailey Method workout.  At first, I wanted to blame this on the early time and my lack of orange juice this morning (a sacrificed my breakfast for 10 minutes of sleep... and I still believe my priorities were aligned correctly) And then it hit me: No.  No Natalie, you are not being judgmental and pretentious.

This is what I think: The straining. So you are lifting more than your body weight over your head. Ok, it's hard.

Now try and Balance all of your body weight on the two centimeters square footage of your toe.  Oh wait, and while you do it, where the most uncomfortable article of clothing.  You probably have a wedgie.  You are probably also wearing a cake layer of makeup.  And keep your head up, which is, by the way, about 2 pounds heavier than normal because of all the hairspray, pins, and sparkly Tiara.

Grunting? No.  Straining? out of the question.... Instead you have to SMILE and make it look easy.

Olympic Lifting? Sure, it's hard.  There's no question about it.  But... While cross fit was hard, I remember dancing a 3 part, 27 minute ballet suite, making me more sore than crossfit.

And I looked way better doing it.

And this morning in Dailey Method... sure I wanted to die... but while I was in class... Ya couldn't tell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment