About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Love it or hate it, I only change for me, for self improvement, and Self-assurance.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Self-discovery at its finest

I always like to think of myself as a pretty unique individual.

I have lots of close friends, and there is a lot I have in common with them, but there is also a lot I don't:

Me: Of my gosh, sometimes I can't get through my day without making a list of stuff to do
Claire: I know right?!?!? I do that ALL the time...
Me: And then I go back and highlight my list according to how it pertains to life: Job#1, My personal career, Dance In Transit, Holiday/birthdays/anniversaries/, and "extra curricular"
Claire: ... What is wrong with you?

Sometimes I think I am the unique monster my parents created, taken some of their best qualities, and a few of their idiosyncrasies, and there is no one like me on earth because of the crazy way I have modified my parents habits.....

And then my sister comes to visit.

An inch shorter and probably 30 lbs lighter ( and, if you asked her, she would probably calculate our BMI difference to), my sister proves to remain the anomaly of my life, while remaining to be my "twin".  Where I feel I got Mom's 2 parts mannerisms and 1 part dad, My sister got 5 parts dad, and 1 part mom (and I speak in mathematic terms, because if you know my sister or dad that is their language).  And that half a fraction difference, is what keeps the two of us in check.  There are photos, laughs, and even when we were younger, CLOTHING, that tried to make us the same, but there is evidence proving that we could not be more alike.

TEXT CONVERSATION:
Sis: I'm turning into dad.
Me: What? NO! Why? I need you! don't do this to me!
Sis: Sometimes I get ideas during the day, while I am in my car, training someone, and I don;t want to forget them.
Me: I already know where this is going.
Sis: So I invested in a pad of sticky notes! And a mechanical Pencil! They are EVERYWHERE!
Me: I guess that's not so bad...
Sis: I also am keeping a box of Franzia in the Closet
Me: I'm scheduling your intervention now.

This weekend I witnessed the mother of all problems.  Growing up in a big Italian Family, in order to keep efficiency, there has, and always will be "a plan" (hence my color coated schedule).   Apparently, other families do not understand the sanctity of the plan, and I have often had what appears to be the spat   my sister and her husband had yesterday on a regular basis with my own Boyfriend.

The problem is this: the "in-laws" are in town (or I am going there).  And I have already made plans.  My plans must now be changed to fit them in

(Let's keep in mind also that both Sister and I love in-laws very much, and really don't MIND changing the schedule for in-laws.  We are HAPPY to do it as long as one thing is kept in mind: There needs to be a PLAN.  Something to supplement my otherwise happy, productive day with more happy, productive things).

 The trouble is this: There is no plan (or at least if there is, I am being filled in about the plan).  So while I COULD be doing things (to keep my schedule moving), I am now, sitting around waiting for someone to 1) think of a plan, 2) tell me the plan or 3) tell me to think of a plan so I can become the leader and get this day rolling.  Both boyfriend and sister's husband argue "My family doesn't need a plan, they are fine with just hanging out with each other".

My argument: Our family does too, but at least then it is stated "we are doing NOTHING TOGETHER today", so I can dress, act, and prepare accordingly (people don't realize the mental prep that goes into relaxing for a workaholic!) I have recently remedied my situation by packing a novel, because I know I will get at least 4 quality hours of reading in one weekend

Sister argument (at least this week): Our family does too, but we don't pick the second largest city (SF) in the nation with the notoriously WORSE parking situation to NOT have a destination or plan so I can drive around aimlessly to do nothing.

I bring it up because I understand where she is coming from... but for some reason when we voice our complaints to the respective significant other, I noticed that we get the same reaction: it's the look you would give someone who might be speaking in tongues to, Sheer and udder insanity.

While my sister was leaving for her destinationless road trip to SF today, i heard my father (from her) say "Insanity is trying to one solution method to get the a consistent answer, and getting a different answer everytime... I JUST WANT A CONSISTENT ANSWER!"  When she said this I laughed inside and wished her luck.  I've been there! But it made me wonder... Are WE the crazy ones, or are they??? I'm pretty sure the answer is us, but I would still love an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment