About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Love it or hate it, I only change for me, for self improvement, and Self-assurance.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Creativity the discipline

Most people think artists are crazy. It's this misjudgment by "not creative people" that artists teeter all the time between Creative Genius and Crazy.

I was recently watching a link Where Elizabeth Gilbert (author of "Eat, Pray, LOVE") talks about creativity. (You can also here what she has to say here) The end she finally comes full circle and says something interesting, but the beginning was what I want to address.

Ms. Gilbert opens her talk speaking about how artists have a lot of pressure to always be striving to top their last biggest goal... Sorry Ms. Gilbert. But I feel like anyone who is dedicated to their job strives to be better than who they were yesterday. Coming from a background of hardworking engineers, I know that my father worked harder than most to better himself in his career. Now, maybe because it is harder for artists to thrive in our society, so they HAVE to push themselves past mediocrity.

The other issue I had with her was the way in which she talked about Creativity. Like it just runs by and if you happen to catch it cool, and if not, no biggie. And I get that people get their creativity from different places, but there is such an easier way to Solve it.

If you have read this before, you know I often quote Twyla Tharp. It's because she gets in. Not only does she take artists of this "starving" pedestal, but, she tells it how it should be: work is work is work, and creativity can be cultivated and disciplined just like anything else. The Genius are those dedicated enough to practice their discipline.

The whole speech is quite interesting, but those were the two things I felt needed critiquing. She has a lot of good to say about creativity, but my bottom line I suppose is art doesn't HAVE to be a struggle! And I'm stoked about that.

1 comment:

  1. Hrm. I agree with your take on creativity, but I think you're paraphrasing what she said a bit.

    Her opening is about how others tend to view the product of an artist as always trying to beat their last great work. The idea was that the general populous thinks if you're a successful engineer, there is longevity there. Where as a successful artist is PERCEIVED to be only as successful as their last great work.

    The analogy she used was of one person's creative process, but the other half of that point was that you do the work no matter what. You don't wait for the inspiration to come...she said that you wake up and write. She said you do your part so that when the inspiration or genius strikes you are ready.

    I'm interested to read the Tharp book. I do believe that creativity can be cultivated and disciplined but not like anything else. I don't believe that everyone can be a creative genius and I don't believe everyone should strive for that necessarily.

    I would agree that art doesn't have to be a struggle, but that doesn't mean that it can't be born out of the struggle either. There are some really beautiful things to be said about the struggle.

    Hook me up with that book yo!

    ReplyDelete